Staub or Le Creuset?

I'm in the market for a dutch oven, but I can't decide between Staub or Le Creuset. I don't know anyone with a Staub, but I really like the looks of it. However, Le Creuset seems to be much more popular. I'm guessing I can't go wrong between either, but I wondered about cleaning. The Le Creuset seems like it would be easier to clean. What do you have & how do you like it? Also, what do you use it for?

asked by Stephanie G almost 7 years ago

Emile Henry. Great stuff. I don't have a stock pot yet but I love the tagine and the surface and the evenness of heat. Even on my gas top range.
As for cleaning, it's dishwasher safe. But sometimes I do have to take a paste of barkeepers friend and green type sponge and rub it for little baked on oil spots.
http://www.emilehenryusa.com/Dutch-Oven.html?parentId=411&pushParent

I recently purchased a made-in-france Costco version. It's awesome. Not sure if they have them still, but worth checking out. It was $70. http://reviews.costco.com/2070/11631290/zwilling-j-a-henckels-kirkland-signature-6-5-quart-enameled-cast-iron-round-french-oven-reviews/reviews.htm

calendargirl

I've used my Le Creuset dutch ovens (large and small) for almost twenty years. They are wonderful for both in-oven and stove top cooking. These are cheerful workhorses, and go from oven to stove top to fridge without complaining. They each have small scratches in the interior surface from metal utensils, and minimal staining on the interior, neither of which is an issue for me. Wooden utensils are best to prevent scratching. When there is seriously baked-on food, I find that filling the bottom with hot water and adding just a small shot (a tablespoon or so) of Clorox does wonders.

jmburns

We have many Le Crueset pots and have many for over 20 yrs. look around if have any outlet malls around you since Le Creuset has outlet stores. Also the Chopping Block in Chicago is closing out discontinued colors at nice discounts .

bookbind

I have had many of my Le Creuset pots for over 30 years. Tough, durable workhorses, and easy to clean. I've admired the Staub colors but the pots aren't as easy to handle as the Le Creuset...

Chef KC

Go with Le Creuset, the thing that makes them special is the way that the enamel layers are baked on, there are many layers an they are all baked on individually to form a stronger bond and to build a lasting nonstick surface.

LLStone

I have both a Staub (4 Q ) and a knock-off Le Creuset (6 Q). I love them both............And, both of them are the only pots I really use for all kinds of things. I love the handle design of the Staub, but the inverted divets on the bottom do make it slightly harder to clean. Either way, I wouldn't want to cook w/o either one of them. I don't think you can go wrong either way........

LLStone

My knock-off came from Sam's Club. And, honestly, it's really good and I paid less than $50 for it a couple of years ago. I think they still have them...

singing_baker

I LOVE my le creuset pot! I have never used a staub but I can't imagine Anything being better than le creuset. Not to mention it is dream to clean everything comes off easy

Nicurn

Love, love, love my Staub!

Like sam1148, I'm an Emile Henry flameware pot convert. I also have a Le Creuset, which was my workhorse for many years. And I've given the Staub coq au vin pot as a gift. I would say that you can't go too far wrong with any choice. The advantage of Le Creuset over Staub is the light-colored interior, which helps you see what you're cooking. The advantages of Staub over LC are the dimples on the lids, which help with "self-basting," and the knobs, which don't need replacing to be put in a hot oven and look really, really cool. (The standard LC knobs are plastic. You can get metal ones for about $10. The Staub ones are more likely to be little metal works of art. )The advantages of the Emile Henry are that it also has those dimples, plus there's something wonderful about cooking in clay.

As for cleaning--they are all pretty tolerant, but it depends on your standards. The light color of the interior of the Le Creuset is a bit of a problem, as it stains. You can soak it with a little bleach, but the staining returns. Alsom after some years, the enamel on my LC wore away. leaving the rim open cast iron--what this meant was that I had to dry it right away or I'd have a ring of rust. Presumably, something similar could happen with the Staub, but it's impossible for the Emile Henry flameware.

Stephanie G

I'm very intrigued by the Emile Henry. I have an EH casserole and love it. It cleans up beautifully and looks as pretty as the day I got it. Is the dutch oven the same finish? The casserole is very silky and shiny. I never considered the EH because I didn't know they made dutch ovens.

The finish is a little different, but it also cleans up beautifully. It's the same color inside and out. Check it out at http://www.emilehenryusa.com/ceramic-cookware/Flame-Red-61.html

Dona

I have both Staub and LC, I love both. I use Staub more because it's my soup and braising por.

Dona

peicook

I have been using Le Creuset for 47 years when I was given a turquoise Dutch oven in 1965 as a wedding gift.I have since passed the original on to my daughter and am using a newer version. Still the same great quality. I disregard the interior staining and consider them proof that this is a hard working utensil. I recently purchased a small Staub Cocotte since I usually cook for two now and Love it. The Staub colors are great. The choice is yours since both will serve you well for years.

Francoise Brito

Staub is far better quality and the dutch ovens have the 'recycling' of steam feature

Thom

Le Creuset is for people who like colors. Staub is for people who like to cook.

Staub’s enamel interior is far superior to Le Creuset’s beige colored delicate enamel.

To all those people who say, “I can’t see what I’m doing when I’m using Staub because the interior is black.” What a bunch of nuts. I’ve never heard anyone say that who cooks with cast iron. And I’ve never heard that from someone who cooks with a Le Creuset skillet - which has a black interior. Unless you’re using Visions cookware from the 1980s, how are you seeing what’s going on with the surface of the meat that you’re browning when you’re using a Le Creuset French oven? Are you looking through an exterior layer of enamel, a middle layer of cast iron and an interior layer of enamel?

“Oh, but I can’t see the fond when I’m deglazing the pan.” More irrational reasoning. You can FEEL the fond with the utensil you’re using to deglaze the Pan and if you work the surface in a methodical way you will get all the fond you need for flavor extraction.

Stop following the trend, Le Creuset’s corporate marketing machine and all the TV kitchen renovation shows that place a Le Creuset on the new stove. If you really like to cook you will purchase performance over color. Go with Staub.