🔕 🔔

Trying to replicate a chocolate cake that has a box of pudding in it.

I only want to use REAL ingredients, but I can't seem to get it moist enough. I mean, REALLY moist. I'm already using 8 oz. of sour cream, 3 whole eggs and 3 yolks, 1 1/4 cups of sugar. What else can I do??

asked by LisaCooks over 5 years ago

281ae33b 7151 464a af77 f6d6444c9c7d  img 20151007 213502

Buttermilk helps too! Or plain yogurt instead, more moisture than sour cream.

7b500f1f 3219 4d49 8161 e2fc340b2798  flower bee

You could try replacing part of the cocoa powder( if it is in the ingredient list) with melted or grated chocolate. Large amounts of cocoa tend to yield somewhat dry cakes. Sour ream is a great choice since it has a lot more body and fat, and will leave your cake moister than yogurt would because less of it will evaporate. The amount of leavening is also a factor; too much of it can leave your cake dry. Maybe also try brown sugar instead of white and a little bit of fruit puree (like banana for example). Pudding is mostly starch so it naturally retains liquid when it is cooked to a certain temperature; if you want to avoid boxed pudding you could try adding a tablespoon or two of pure starch of your choice, like tapioca for example.

Fantastic--thanks so much.
(Also, by the way, how about creme fraiche instead of sour cream?)