Vegan substitute for anchovies

I have a number of recipes that include anchovies--they're there for the umami and not recognizable as fish. But I have to leave them out if there are vegans at the table. Does anyone have a good substitute?

asked almost 7 years ago

KLL5

Braggs Amino Acids also have the super condescend salty flavor

Vegan Worchestershire sauce might also work.

I've used tamarind as part of a 'Worchestershire" substitute, so that may be at least a part of an answer.

linzarella

You might find a way to incorporate nutritional yeast into the recipe. It sounds hippie dippie, but it's actually really good and savory.

maw
maw

Try A -1 sauce

NuMystic

Seaweed (Kombu, Nori, Hijiki, Dulse, or Wakame) + Tamari + Capers Brine will offer exactly the salty, fishy, briny umame flavor profile ground anchovies bring to any recipe.

Rockstargirl

I have used olives and capers, specifically olive tapenade. It worked nicely in a Caesar dressing