🔕 🔔

How long can you keep fresh garlic cloves?

asked by Robin,Lundy about 6 years ago

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

It's so variable! The problem is not just drying out, but also mold or brown spots. You can trim them, but there's a limit. Shelf life can be days, or it can be months.

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

They'll tell you when their days are numbered. As long as they are still plump and crisp w/no visible sprouting. Even if they've sprouted a little, just cut open and remove the germ (sprout).

6f614b0c 899e 467f b032 d68711f70a39  2011 03 07 18 28 41 870

I agree with the recommendations above. I usually keep my garlic in the freezer in zip top bags. They thaw in no time on the counter.

The thing about the green germ/sprout is that it's really bitter. You can buy peeled cloves in a jar for convenience but they go off fairly quickly, so unless you use garlic (and a lot of garlic----say, you have a vampire problem) every day it's not a good purchase.

I usually keep fresh garlic cloves in the fridge. I store unpeeled cloves of garlic it stores 2 – 3 weeks. If you choose a freezer it will keep garlic for up to 10 – 12 months. I got a great help from https://foodgear.org/how..., this site, to how to keep fresh garlic cloves. If you want you can check this link.