🔕 🔔

What can I substitute for dry white wine

asked by ClaireB almost 6 years ago

Cbfb27ea 071f 4941 9183 30dce4007b50  merrill

What's the recipe you're making?

Dry vermouth would be fine. If cooking to reduce, then plain chicken stock.

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

White dry vermouth is your best friend in both kitchen and martinis.

B8f19483 b6dd 4ee8 b288 d1e5d79af410  face

Dry Vermouth is my kitchen staple. Sherry is a close second, but adds some sweetness so decide based on your recipe.

After a long and frustrating search for wine substitutes, I finally got up the nerve to create “wine bouillon” and it’s proving a good substitute for wine in many dishes.

Essentially, I’ve flash-dried wine into a powder that contains zero alcohol, no salt or preservatives...and all the flavor of wine. I’m calling it The Dry Gourmet. We’ve produced a red and a white. (Bourbon and rum are in the works.)

Currently, we’re only selling on our website (www.drygourmet.com).

Initial results have been great, with many home cooks creating their favorite dishes with all the flavor of wine.

Please drop me a line if I can answer any questions about this wine substitute.

Thank you.

Ben

D3264396 eb49 4e27 8a49 954d80840af4  dg 2 packs square

In general, dry white Vermouth is an excellent substitute. In fact, the venerable Julia Child almost always used it when a recipe called for white wine. It keeps better/longer than white wine, once opened, for starters. plus, the herbs infused in it add interest to almost any dish.
Otherwise, I would say it all depends upon the dish you're looking to sub the wine in - as well as your reason for subbing.