What can I substitute for dry white wine

asked by ClaireB over 6 years ago

What's the recipe you're making?

GIOVANNI50

Dry vermouth would be fine. If cooking to reduce, then plain chicken stock.

bigpan

White dry vermouth is your best friend in both kitchen and martinis.

allans

Dry Vermouth is my kitchen staple. Sherry is a close second, but adds some sweetness so decide based on your recipe.

Benjamin Atkinson

After a long and frustrating search for wine substitutes, I finally got up the nerve to create “wine bouillon” and it’s proving a good substitute for wine in many dishes.

Essentially, I’ve flash-dried wine into a powder that contains zero alcohol, no salt or preservatives...and all the flavor of wine. I’m calling it The Dry Gourmet. We’ve produced a red and a white. (Bourbon and rum are in the works.)

Currently, we’re only selling on our website (www.drygourmet.com).

Initial results have been great, with many home cooks creating their favorite dishes with all the flavor of wine.

Please drop me a line if I can answer any questions about this wine substitute.

Thank you.

Ben

In general, dry white Vermouth is an excellent substitute. In fact, the venerable Julia Child almost always used it when a recipe called for white wine. It keeps better/longer than white wine, once opened, for starters. plus, the herbs infused in it add interest to almost any dish.
Otherwise, I would say it all depends upon the dish you're looking to sub the wine in - as well as your reason for subbing.