🔕 🔔

I'm planning to roast butternut squash and parsnips; would fresh dill go well with this?

asked by Pamela731 almost 6 years ago

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

My own thoughts would also be more likely to go in the direction of thyme or rosemary, as I think of dill as a little delicate for roasted winter squash and parsnips. But if you like those flavors, go ahead. But one caveat--while Id maybe roast the vegetables with thyme and rosemary, I'd add the dill at the end so that it doesn't burn.

E0cc9d5c 6544 49fb b0e4 5c150d9ac0f7  imag0055

Dill and butternut squash/parsnips don't really inhabit the same seasons. The flavor of dill won't hold up in the roasting, either. Save the dill for something that likes dill (peas, cucumbers.......). Winter savory is also nice, in addition to the above suggestions.

32fb3935 151a 4db2 ac26 980d4c0d5cea  lorigoldsby

Also sage is nice. Lots of recipes with those ingredients in the last contest

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

As others have said, rosemary seems a better choice. It has a sharp piney-ness that I think complements these sweet winter vegetables better. I think of dill with springy salad-like ingredients + maybe yogurt or sour cream.