What do I do with a pound of roasted butternut squash?

We roasted some butternut squash last night for a pasta dish, but now we have a pound leftover! Can I make squash bread (taking place of pumpkin)? Any ideas?

asked by nessafox almost 6 years ago

smslaw

Absolutely use it in bread or anything else in place of pumpkin.

Kenzi Wilbur

Make soup! Or puree! Here are a few ideas: http://food52.com/recipes...

Make ravioli by filling wonton wrappers with the squash

Katie Saul

Butternut squash hash with poached eggs and Gouda grits: http://www.kt-kitchen.blogspot...

beyondcelery

Mash it and use it in place of mashed potatoes in gnocchi. It works really well and you can freeze the raw gnocchi for later (if you have leftovers!). Just make sure to drain any excess water from the squash before you use it in your dough.

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

You can toss it with some kale that's partially crisped in the oven, and some miso mixed with a little brown sugar and butter. Top it off with sesame seeds, yum! Sometimes I add some cubed and browned tofu for a more complete one-dish meal.

mensaque

I thought of soup or gnocchi...but Kenzi and beyondcelery beat me to the punch!How about on a cake batter with some coconut?

beyondcelery

Oh! I just remembered I put some mashed leftover butternut into biscuits with some sage this last weekend. It worked really well. I stirred about 2 Tbls olive oil into the 1 cup mashed squash to increase the creaminess/fat factor. Dust with some sea salt before baking.

Cristina Sciarra

I have also used it as a pizza or toast base.

If you're not using it very soon, pack it in a container, label and freeze.

petitbleu

Search this site for the brown butter butternut loaf--it's incredible! You can also use it in muffins, scones, biscuits, pies, cakes, soup, or in the bottom of a custard (like crème brûlée).

kimhw

Mmmm. Roasted butternut squash can be used for almost anything. But my favorite is muffins with oats and dried cranberries. It is healthy and quick breakfast.
Once a week my son has a class before school, very early. So I always have these in my freezer. Individually wrapped and I pull them out the night before. They refrost Nicky and we run out the door with them.

Mlle Kate

I like to add roasted squash (or sweet potatoes) to my morning oatmeal, with cinnamon and chopped pecans or walnuts.

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

Definetely agree with gnocchi!