🔕 🔔

Does anyone own a food dehydrator? Do you have recommendations for a brand to buy? Do you think it was worth the money invested for the recip

Do you have any website recommendations for dehydrator recipes?

asked by lhg24 over 5 years ago

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

I have owned a 5 tray Excalibur Dehydrator for about 5 years. It has a temperature control and I didn't invest in one with an automatic timer and don't regret it at all. It has more than paid for itself. Excalibut is an excellent brand. I dehydrate cherries, tomatoes, nectarines, pears, squash, onions. This year I dehydrated peppers and ground them and made my own pepper sauce. I make my own crackers.

Regarding websites, just google dehydrator recipes and see what you like.

Thank you! That is the model that I have been considering. Someone had told me they regretted not getting a 9 tray. Currently it is just my husband and I, did you ever feel that you needed the 9 tray? Do you vacuum seal your dried produce?

I have not regretted my purchase. The 5 tray is handles the amounts I want to prepare. It takes a long time to pit cherries! I do not vacuum seal, I put it in jars with tight fitting lids. My nephew the chef vacuum seals and I can't taste any discernable difference.

Wholefoods user icon

Excaliber sometimes sells "refurbished" models on their website at a lower cost than the new ones would be. Since they are pricey (but worth it!), you might want to look into that.

Ad0d3623 a28a 4793 82a8 5f1ab0a2f633  dsc00426

My sister has a l'Equip that I've used, and it's great. It has temperature control, fan, and a timer, and it has extra trays you can buy to add on.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

I'd love to get one. But I'm "Banned" from bringing home any more kitchen gadgets that take up counter space, until I get rid of one with the same space footprint.

Sam, I want you to attempt some more stuff so I can steal from you! It would be great to have a group of us attempting things with our dehydrators.

I own a 9 tray excalibur... Honestly, I don't use it for as much as I'd hoped, but that's perhaps because I don't like jerky. Our primary use for it is making lots and lots of fruit rollups, for which it does an excellent job. But unless you're doing large volumes, I don't see why a 9 tray is necessary over a 5 tray...

Thanks everyone, your insight has been very helpful. Seems like the 5 tray excalibur is a worth while investment!