I have a hard Tim using up potatoes before they go bad. I would like to try to dehydrate some sliced potatoes.

Does anyone know how or if this can be done? I have a food dehydrator. I am thinking the potatoes should either be blanched or all the way cooked before dehydrating. Help will be appreciated.

asked by Elaine Ruth about 6 years ago

jmburns

Well they put dehydrated potatoes in Hamburger Helper. So I guess it could be done.

Paging SKK..Paging SKK come right away.

SeaJambon

Not sure SKK can join us right now (she's currently prepping for her daughter's wedding!! Pretty exciting!). I'll do my best to stand in as her sous chef...

Yes, you can dehydrate potatoes. Yes, you want to blanch them -- otherwise they may turn black. According to the So Easy to Preserve book published by the University of Georgia Cooperative Extension, you should "wash, peel, and cut into shoestring strips 1/4 inch thick, or cut into slices 1/8 inch thick", then steam blanch 6 to 8 minutes, or water blanch 5 to 6 minutes. Estimated dehydrator time: 7 to 12 hours. FWIW: I'm in the process of getting certified as a Master Food Preserver, and this is our text book. Just finished dehydration today. :)

Oh...congrats to SKK and her daughter.

Here's one of my favorite books of food home systems. http://www.amazon.com/Home...

Rodale's Home Food systems. It's a catalog, encyclopedia...with tons and tons of information. Too much really. It doesn't get too specific on any specific items but focuses on basic tech and hardware. Including things like DYI stuff and even things like turning a back yard pool into a fish farm. Bees, raising goats, making cheeses, canning, juicing, etc..etc. Something to look up if you can find it--it's out of print now, I think. But it's wonderful read...filled with all types of info and suggestions for hardware--much of which are still available today.

SeaJambon

Thanks Sam -- that looks like an awesome book!

Someone with knowledge and skill could update that book with research and use it as a template to make a 2012 edition. Which would be fantastic. Using the same format and modern tech. (if Rodale would sign off on that) . It should be updated. as it's a great reference book for the home user.