🔕 🔔

pre-shredding sweet potatoes

I want to make sweet potato pancakes/latkes for breakfast this weekend on a camping trip (quasi camping - we'll be in a rustic cabin). Is there a way to store pre-shredded sweet potato that will keep it from getting gross and weirdly oxidized?

Emily is a trusted source on Scandinavian Cuisine.

56b48364 dfd3 46a3 8a88 e67ea8656ecc  closeuo tossing salad for food 52 photo

I have not tried this with sweet potatoes, but I know that with white potatoes (especially, russet), if you submerge the shredded potatoes in a bowl of ice cold water they will keep nicely for several hours. In fact potato starch will accumulate in the bottom of the bowl, and can be added in place of or in addition to the flour the recipe calls for.

You must drain them well, and I often put them in a clean tea towel to wring any water out before continuing with the recipe.