A question about a recipe: Flourless Tangerine-Almond Cake

I have a question about the recipe "Flourless Tangerine-Almond Cake" from Kukla. Can whole almonds be substituted for blanched & slivered, or would the result be bitterness from the skins?

6a5a05d5 0ef3 4141 9866 2c0bbf005bdd  orange honey spunge cake
Recipe question for: Tangerine-Almond Cake

sdebrango January 20, 2012

I'm going to jump in here, maybe Kukla will see this and have an answer for you but in my opinion you certainly can use whole almonds. I don't really notice an appreciable amount of bitterness from the skins and with the fruit and sugar I think that it would be fine. If you don't have access to blanched skinless almonds then I think using the whole almond would work just fine.

SKK January 20, 2012

It is very easy to take the skins off your almonds, and would be worth doing so. Just soak them in water for a couple of hours and the skins will pop right off. Unlike sdebrango, I taste the bitterness of almond skins.

Greenstuff January 20, 2012

Beside the bitterness, which some taste, especially in this much density, you'd be making a very different, more rustic cake. Blanched almonds have a much more delicate flavor.

Kukla
Kukla January 20, 2012

I do not mind the skin of almonds for savory dishes or just munching on them, but in a cake, where they are used instead of flour they should be delicate and light in color.
Thanks’ everyone for excellent answers.

LiveToEat1960
LiveToEat1960 January 20, 2012

Thanks everyone!