🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Flourless Tangerine-Almond Cake

6a5a05d5 0ef3 4141 9866 2c0bbf005bdd  orange honey spunge cake

I have a question about the recipe "Flourless Tangerine-Almond Cake" from Kukla. Can whole almonds be substituted for blanched & slivered, or would the result be bitterness from the skins?

asked by LiveToEat1960 over 5 years ago

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

I'm going to jump in here, maybe Kukla will see this and have an answer for you but in my opinion you certainly can use whole almonds. I don't really notice an appreciable amount of bitterness from the skins and with the fruit and sugar I think that it would be fine. If you don't have access to blanched skinless almonds then I think using the whole almond would work just fine.

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

It is very easy to take the skins off your almonds, and would be worth doing so. Just soak them in water for a couple of hours and the skins will pop right off. Unlike sdebrango, I taste the bitterness of almond skins.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Beside the bitterness, which some taste, especially in this much density, you'd be making a very different, more rustic cake. Blanched almonds have a much more delicate flavor.

5861b4ad 965e 4a67 9c9c 76c273534f33  img 0001

I do not mind the skin of almonds for savory dishes or just munching on them, but in a cake, where they are used instead of flour they should be delicate and light in color.
Thanks’ everyone for excellent answers.

34aa6e80 ab23 4385 90c0 a945bbab06c8  stringio

Thanks everyone!