Are margarine and shortening te same? Can I substitute one for another? I want to use it to make vegan frosting:)

Baking, vegan

sdebrango January 21, 2012

I normally don't bake vegan but I made a cake once and used earth balance and the frosting turned out great.

hardlikearmour January 21, 2012

They're not the same. Shortening is 100% fat. Earth Balance vegan margarine is more like butter in that it is mostly fat, but partly water. Not all margarine is vegan, so make certain of the product you use.

utchimama
utchimama January 21, 2012

So can I substitute earth balance for shortening for frosting then? The recipe calls for 1/2 cup margarine and 1/2 cup shortening.

hardlikearmour January 21, 2012

It would most likely work. You could also use the Earth Balance as the margarine and shortening, though I'm always leery of the mouth feel of frosting made with shortening. Makes me think of grocery store cakes.

sdebrango January 21, 2012

I agree with hardlikearmour it would work but the taste would be like those commercial grocery store cakes. when I made the icing it was for a carrot cake and I used half tofutti cream cheese and half earth balance

utchimama
utchimama January 21, 2012

I don't usually bake vegan either but my friend is lactose-intolerance so I think butter won't be good for her:) Maybe I can try using only 1/2 of the frosting since I'm not a big vegan baking fan anyway (nor the grocery store's bakery!)

sdebrango January 21, 2012

what kind of cake is it? would a ganache be doable? There are vegan options when you make ganache also.

drbabs January 21, 2012

What kind of cake is it? Maybe you could make a glaze instead of frosting (I don't like shortening in frosting either, sorry.) with confectioner's sugar and fruit juice or water, with some vanilla or almond extract.

utchimama
utchimama January 21, 2012

Its buttercream frosting for cookies and cream cupcakes. So do you think chocolate ganache using vegan chocolate is fine too? The cupcake itself is chocolate cupcakes. Is there anything that I could use to make vegan frosting (or cream) instead of shortening?

rapearson
rapearson January 21, 2012

I'm lactose intolerant and butter is fine. It has very little sugar in it -- it's all fat. Lactose is a sugar. Same when I realized I could have whipped cream as long as it is made with heavy whipping cream -- it's like liquid fat.

sdebrango January 21, 2012

You could use a little earth balance and maybe some almond milk,coconut milk or soy cream. The health food store near me carries a soy cream but for the life of me I can't remember the brand.

sdebrango January 21, 2012

I used regular 60-70% dark chocolate not necessarily a vegan dark chocolate but I think that would work and would taste much better than a buttercream using margerine.

utchimama
utchimama January 21, 2012

Alright then I can try the ganache instead cuz i don't know what I can use Earth Balance for after making this cupcake either since I always bake real stuff cuz butter is the best anyway! Thansk for all your help:):)

sdebrango January 21, 2012

I know what you mean, only did it a few times and luckily was able to use it all or it would have gone to waste. I'm sure it will taste great especially if your friend is accustomed to the taste.

utchimama
utchimama January 21, 2012

I'm not sure if she's accustomed but I think for me it's better not to get something I wouldn't be able to use anyway:) So do you think I could either use butter and be better off or make chocolate ganache instead?

drbabs January 21, 2012

Problem is that butter and cream aren't vegan--they're from a cow.

utchimama
utchimama January 21, 2012

Well she is not vegan but just lactose-intolerance but I think it would be easier to go for vegan recipe since it's for sure will be lactose-free as well::)

drbabs January 21, 2012

As rapearson said, cream and butter don't have much, if any, lactose. So your ganache idea is probably the best.

Slow Cooked Pittsburgh
Slow Cooked Pittsburgh January 21, 2012

Coconut fat, coconut manna, coconut cream--any of these will make a fabulous vegan icing. Processed coconut fat has very little coconut flavor, depending on what you are trying to achieve, the coconut flavor is more pronounced the more raw, cold pressed or creamy the product.