🔕 🔔

A question for vegan bakers: Substituting yogurt

A friend would like to make my Everything Carrot Cake (on Food52 here: https://food52.com/recipes...), but for a vegan audience. She would need to substitute the 3/4 cup yogurt for something else. I know that baking substitutions can be tricky, but is there an easy solution here?

asked by Cristina Sciarra over 3 years ago

334d09cb 05fb 4998 81f1 69e7ae796eb9  image

The simplest solution would be soy yogurt if you can find it, or even soy sour cream. Another option that I've heard of but haven't personally tried is silken tofu blended with a bit of lemon juice (around 2 tbsp per cup) for acidity.

1228ac16 6301 4d89 898c ca579b402df6  ale graf filtro

I have used almond, coconut or soy yogurt. It works well as long as the recipe calls for it.

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

I would add crushed pineapple instead of the yogurt, drained of its juices. I always add pineapple to carrot cake. It's wonderful.

16f72ccb 3197 434b a946 8e9e68a3715f  cristina 014 web final

Thanks, all! I appreciate the answers.

D7f69dd6 b52f 49c3 805e 596ff35d6ef1  img 0280

Mashed banana or coconut milk mixed with a little lemon juice works pretty well. For the frosting, you could make a delicious cashew cream frosting instead of using the mascarpone one (which is not vegan). Simply soak some cashews in some water for a couple hours. Drain and rinse them; blend them with a slightly lesser amount of water, a splash of vanilla extract, and a few tbsp. of maple syrup till smooth and creamy. For extra tastiness, add in some coconut butter (this is not the same as the oil). Enjoy!