Snow day recipes?

I'm snowed in and feel like cooking. Suggestions?

asked by KimW almost 7 years ago

Snowing here as well. I just made buttermilk and yogurt pancakes from Marion Cunningham's "The Breakfast Book." How about bread or looking in your freezer for meats and making a stew?

The Lighter Cook

I made WW Applesauce Bread this morning - 2 loaves cooling on the rack.
Sweet Potato, Black Bean Chili for dinner.

I made Butternut Squash soup yesterday for lunches over the next few days.
1 butternut squash, split and seeds removed, roast with 1 quarted onion, 1/4 cup low sodium veg stock.
Cool, add squash pulp, onions and left over stock to 4 cups of stock in a soup pot, add 1-2 tsp of garam masala or curry powder and turmeric, cook until warm, use immersion blender to puree.

Slow Cooked Pittsburgh

Snowing here too! So far I've made: big pot of spicy chili, cornbread, banana cranberry bread, oatmeal cookies (chocolate chip and raisin), about to make a cake and then have a lamb shoulder and some boneless pork butt ribs, I'm thinking stew with mashed potatoes and some sort of slow cooked barbeque. (Good thing I have a puppy who loves to play in the snow, otherwise I'd be rolling out the door by spring!!!).

lorigoldsby

SKK posted a similar question a few days ago..

http://www.food52.com/hotline...

nutcakes

As we have had a hot streak with temps up to 85 in L.A. I can't really say (bwaaaahaha), but I like to do a 40 clove garlic chicken or a braised shortribs over polenta or cornmeal cakes a la Paula Wolfert. And Baking for sure.

Made potato dinner rolls that will be used as buns for sliders for tomorrows Giants game!

Slow Cooked Pittsburgh

I just love potato rolls. :)

So agree they are wonderful!

"Snow days" around here usually involved a massive power-outage. We tend to get more icestorm stuff than fluffy snow.

So normally it's scrambling the day before getting gas for the grill, Kerosene for lamps and heater and fresh items (fruits, milk, etc) because it's been known knock out power for a week. Anything we make is usually 'on the fly, what's the freezer, depending on how bad it is.

MTMitchell

We had snow last night.... And spaghetti and meatballs!

PistachioDoughnut

I had Rajma chawal - Kidney beans cooked with tomatoes /onions (quite similar to chili ) with cumin rice...