Popover Batter--does it need to be brought to room temperature before baking?

I'm preparing the batter the night before and storing in the refrigerator. Is it necessary to bring the batter back to room temperature before baking? If so, how long should it rest outside the refrigerator?

asked by passifloraedulis almost 7 years ago

Veronica,Jewell

Popover batter rises if it is at room temp. Not sure how long to keep it out for.

Veronica,Jewell

That should have said rises better when at room temp.

stacey_ballis

You will get better results if your batter is at room temp. I would take it out of the fridge about 45 minutes before you want to bake the popovers, but the batter will be fine for up to 2 hours at room temp.

bigpan

Room temp and preheat the oven to a high temp ... 400F or more.

I have a popover recipe that uses a standard batter but starts them cooking in a cold oven -- set oven to 450 degrees F, put in pans with popover batter in the cups. After 25 minutes, lover heat to 300 for 10 minutes. While I assume that the batter should still be room temperature, this technique might allow you cut the waiting time down.