Help! I scorched my potato soup. What can I do to get rid of that burnt flavor?

I removed it from the original pot. Now what?

Droplet
Droplet January 24, 2012

Depending on how thick your soup is, you can add some milk. If the consistency is such that it does not allow you to add more liquid, cook a couple of extra potatoes and puree them with the milk, then add that to your pot. The milk will help the burnt taste dimisnish, though not eliminate it altogether. If you do boil extra potatoes, add a sprig of an herb of your choice- that will help some too.

hrosdail
hrosdail January 24, 2012

I don't think you can eliminate it. Sorry.

susan g January 24, 2012

Perhaps add some smoked paprika or chipotles, which have a smoky taste of their own.

Voted the Best Reply!

nutcakes
nutcakes January 24, 2012

That is a great suggestion to mask the burnt flavor. I'd try that and if it doesn't work toss. No use adding other good ingredients to bad just to get a larger quantity of burnt soup, yeah?

lorigoldsby
lorigoldsby January 24, 2012

I agree with nut cakes....the reason a cream soup can take on the flavor of whatever ingredient (fish, chicken, broccoli, etc) you are working with, is the same reason you can't mask the scorched taste of the cream. No sense tossing more money in the pot.

Droplet
Droplet January 24, 2012

Pretty much any cook has mastery over the "skill" of tossing something. When somebody asks for a way to remedy something, I trust their judgement that the degree of the problem leaves room for improvement. I'd say oven roasted potatoes make a nice cream soup, so I don't see why a potato soup for a home meal couldn't be salvaged with a bit of extra effort.