🔕 🔔

When marinating a pork butt in 1 cup sugar and 1 cup salt, should I discard all the excess that falls in pan when I put it in the oven?

This is the Momofuku Bo Ssam recipe given in last weekend's NY mag

asked by wahwah over 5 years ago

I don't get that magazine, bu tI looked at a similar sounding one from 2006.
http://nymag.com/listings...
It sounds like the liquids turn into a carmelized coating for the pork. Did you cook it yet?

I had the same issue with the NYT recipe - it was like a brine without the water but the all the juices ran into the bowl overnight and the roast was good but definitely on the dry side. I can't see how you'd get all the juices back into the roast even with basting. Next time I'll try a regular brine with water, like in the 2006 recipe.

69d2403d 88f4 4b72 b0b9 84a21f4d0561  img 1445

I made this last weekend. I wrapped the pork (I had a 2 kilo hunk of pork neck, boneless) in a few layers of plastic wrap, and the juices still made it onto the plate. I discarded the juices and when I unwrapped the plastic wrap, a large amount of the sugar and salt came off with it (which was fine with me... I was a bit scared of having that much sugar and salt sit on the meat for the 5 hours of roasting). I put the meat on the roasting pan and popped it in the oven for 5 hours. There wasn't really much liquid released during the roasting, and what did come out was pretty brunt in the roasting pan, so there wasn't any basting. After 5 hours, I took the pan out and let it rest for about 45 minutes. I then added the 1/2 cup brown sugar and popped the roast back into a now very hot oven. It took about 15 minutes for the sugar to melt and caramelize. I didn't find the roast dry... in fact, it was perfect! Such a simple recipe for a really delicious result.