The exclusive Italian nonstick from Ballarini the pros swear by. Shop now »
🔕 🔔

I'm starting my own herb garden and want to plant Basil, but I'm not sure which is the best variety. I use Basil for a wide variety of dishe

Since I will not be making just pesto or Italian food, I was thinking of Basil Genovese. Or would sweet Basil be better?

asked by Margaret Pollack over 5 years ago
53573b8d 4bf0 4ffd 843d b2e617cfeb6b  dscn3274
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

I plant about 10 sweet basil plants every year and use it in everything. It's pretty hardy and all purpose.

E0cc9d5c 6544 49fb b0e4 5c150d9ac0f7  imag0055

I find Genovese basil to be the easiest to grow in a New England garden. It doesn't bolt too soon and it thrives under a variety of conditions. That said, I am also a fan of a variety called Fino, which has tiny leaves but big flavor and would do well in a pot. I always grow Thai basil, but it tends to have tougher stems and to go to flower more quickly. Check out the varieties in the online catalogs of Johnnys Selected Seeds or Fedco. (Lemon basil is nice, too. The purple varieties are ornamental but also tasty and beautiful in a salad.)

401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

Thai basil and African basil aren't true basil but they can be a bit hardier. The frustrating thing about growing basil is that you have to be watchful and pinch off the flower buds or else the plants will "bolt" and you will be left with leggy stems.

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

For Asian dishes, it's great to have a Thai basil plant around!