A question about a recipe: Citrus Pulled Pork Tacos

Is there any real advantage to using onion powder in this instead of a fresh onion, chopped and cooked briefly with the browning pork, other than the convenience of using the powder? I don't own any, and never buy or use it, but would if it actually improves the result in recipes like this. Thanks, everyone. ;o)

394ad0c1 8720 4971 a690 7876ea26a07c  food52 01 24 12 0634
Recipe question for: Citrus Pulled Pork Tacos

CatalunaLilith
CatalunaLilith January 30, 2012

i think so. this recipe uses the onion as part of a dry rub on the meat, so it's suposed to coat the whole piece of pork, not just parts of it. if you really wanted to use fresh onion you could probably use three to four times by volume of raw onion and mash it together with the other spices and the oil to make a wet rub for it,

SKK January 30, 2012

I agree with the answer above. When an ingredient has been dried the flavor intensifies. And this is a dry rub.

pierino January 30, 2012

I also agree with these replies. There are times when onion powder, garlic salt etc. are useful to have on hand---but definitely a different flavor profile.

Cookie16
Cookie16 February 12, 2012

I also agree— might also be a place to add flavor (like with the aforementioned rub), but not say, have bits of onion on the exterior that might burn in the oven or on a grill. And the powder will probably get that onion flavor to absorb a bit into the exterior of the meat more affectingly.

Mr_Vittles
Mr_Vittles January 30, 2012

Rubs are the obvious answer, but they are definitely a shortcut for when time is an issue. But it can really be a good intensifier of onion flavor when its needed. I admit to using it for quick meatloaf sometimes.

calendargirl
calendargirl January 31, 2012

When using onion powder or garlic powder, I have found that the Frontier Natural Products Co-Op brand is terrific.

SKK January 31, 2012

I agree calendargirl. And my favorite are the ones I dehydrate and grind. So simple and so good.

AntoniaJames January 31, 2012

Thanks, everyone. This is very helpful. I especially appreciate the brand recommendation, calendargirl. WFM carries that line and, lucky for me, I just changed gyms and the new one is three blocks from WFM, right on the way home. Definitely going to make this pork recipe this weekend. ;o)

Erin Powell
Erin Powell February 12, 2012

I like to use onion powder in my rubs for the flavor and ease they provide. If you omitted it, you could and fresh onion to the cooking liquid in the crock pot.