Boil then simmer

Why boil then simmer in many recipes, like soup?

asked by Food odyssea over 6 years ago

If you bring the liquid just to the point of boiling, when you reduce the heat it will continue to shimmer = simmer. If you don't get it hot enough initially, in my experience it may scald but not actually simmer.

Mr_Vittles

I will add this, one should never boil a soup/stew if there is any type of protein in the dish. Boiling causing the liquid to be at least 212 degrees Fahrenheit, which is terrible for protein as it will only cause them to constrict, giving up their water (I.E. toughening them up). Boiling lentil or bean soups on the other hand is actually a good way to speed up cooking time.