🔕 🔔

Boil then simmer

Why boil then simmer in many recipes, like soup?

asked by Food odyssea over 5 years ago

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

If you bring the liquid just to the point of boiling, when you reduce the heat it will continue to shimmer = simmer. If you don't get it hot enough initially, in my experience it may scald but not actually simmer.

2b00435b fe24 44bb afe2 ad3364f28f79  1390710 10151917400148928 1193325941 n 1

I will add this, one should never boil a soup/stew if there is any type of protein in the dish. Boiling causing the liquid to be at least 212 degrees Fahrenheit, which is terrible for protein as it will only cause them to constrict, giving up their water (I.E. toughening them up). Boiling lentil or bean soups on the other hand is actually a good way to speed up cooking time.