What else can you use an Aebleskiver pan for?

18560ef5 6a36 41ca ab9e b9f7d61e8d96  able

I like to eat Aebleskiver, but I do not like owning "unitaskers" and the Aebleskiver pan looks criminally guilty in this sense. Besides other "Aebleskiver-like" foods (I.E. takoyaki) does anyone have any ideas as to what else an Abelskiver pan is good for?

asked by Mr_Vittles almost 7 years ago

I'd go with the takoyaki. but I see you have that covered.

Maybe a crab cake type recipe would work in that?

In a recent thread on crab cakes, discussed using muffin pans for them. Could also use this pan.
And for any starchy side (sweet or savory) for which individual servings would be cute or useful...turkey stuffing at Thanksgiving, noodle kugel, rice pudding. And the individual crispy crusts are nice.

CatalunaLilith

maybe individually cooked eggs?

brandon

meatballs, candy, nice ice cubes for cocktails, baby soufles

Donnacita

It's only good for ebelskiver. If you want multi function don't do it.

I totally disagree. See my post below.

Okay...how about making little ice cream balls. With a lined crust of crushed of girl-scout thin mint cookies. Pipe in soft vanilla ice cream (with a touch a peppermint schnapps) topped with crushed orero cookies. Re-frozen in the 'half sphere' in the pan. Might want to line the pan with plastic wrap to make removing easy.

Debrahhh

I'm thinking that cake batter would work for cake pops, also muffin mix. On the savory side how about mixing up some eggs, bread, and milk with grated cheese and grease the wells...well and make mini breakfast stratas. Pinch off some Pillsbury dough from a can, add teaspoon of sauce and a sprinkle of cheese, top with a bit of dough again and cook pizza ball appetizers.

Debrahhh

One more thing to try... try a Liege Waffle recipe in this pan. Be sure to use the chunky sugar and it will carmelize . I think i'll go do that now!

Debrahhh

Add your answer here

The Vietnamese use it to make savory rice cakes called banh khot. http://peachymangodelight.blogspot.com/2007/08/banh-khot.html

babytiger

I love those! There is a Thai dessert with coconut milk and rice flour that uses similar pans.

On a whim, I bought a book, Ebelskivers: Filled Pancakes and Other Mouthwatering Miniatures by Kevin Crafts. Now I have a book I've never used, as well as a pan that I don't use much.

Some of the things that look interesting--molten chocolate ebelskivers, ebelskiver popovers, miniature stove-top cheese souffles, two-cheese puffs with marinara (think oozing mossarella).

RaquelG

I restored one recently and have been looking for alternative uses. Thanks for the ideas!

JODEEN FRANK

simply.....Korean Green Onion & Seafood Pajeon! Made in the Aebleskiver pan!

Rosslyn Smith

The pan can be used to make a baked as opposed to a fried hush puppies. Heat the pan in a 425 oven with a few drops of oil in each cup. Add the cornmeal batter. When they have set, turn them just as one does with an aebelskiver. The cast iron will help create a nice outer shell with out all the fat added by frying.

JH
JH

Baked oysters, shrimp, escargot....

BakerBren

I know I'm late to the party, but I have to add Rösti! I use my pan more often to make little individual serving Rösti balls than Aebleskiver. You can also fill the rösti balls with cheese and other savory garnishes as desired.