🔕 🔔

When using a crock pot do you just place raw meat and veggies all together n let it cook, or must you cook the neat first?

asked by eric6 over 5 years ago

I add it all in together might want to add some of the shorter cooking time vegs towards the end.

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

I would recommend browing the meat on the stove and then adding it all in for better texture & taste.

36255cc3 44a2 4c38 8835 b89ccd0f3e7b  stringio

Soft Punk is right, i always cook my meat first for flavor. But if you're in a hurry you can add the veggies without browning them at all, and the crock pot will cook everything to a safe temperature for eating. So from a food safety standpoint you have nothing to fear by adding raw veggies and meat. but from a food flavor standpoint you should definitely brown you meat and preferably veggies first.

Wholefoods user icon

Cataluna, I assume you mean you brown your meat first, not cook it? It doesn't need to be cooked through before adding to the crockpot. If you're concerned about food safety, you can start the pot on high for up to an hour before reducing the heat to low. This gets the food up to a safe temperature faster.