Appetizer idea to compliment a meal of Boef Bourguignon

I am making Julia Child's Boeuf bourguignon for my friends birthday dinner. Can anyone recommend a good appetizer to start the celebration? Not too heavy but complimentary to the meal that follows. Dinner is tonight ... YIKES!

pierino February 4, 2012

As your time is short I'd suggest perhaps a chicken liver pate on crouton (crostino). Lately I've been messing around with combinations of watermelon radish and blood orange; shaved fennel, marcona almonds and other crazy ideas. It's dead on beautiful and would compliment the boeuf.

sexyLAMBCHOPx February 4, 2012

Boeuf Bourguigon is so rich and filling, how about a salad of bibb or assorted lettuces, shaved fennel, radishes with a simple french vinegarette? Maybe choose one of Julia's salads to keep with cooking theme. I agree with Pierino about the watermelon radishes (if you're lucky enough to find them) & Marcona almonds (two of my faves).

lloreen
lloreen February 4, 2012

A light salad for the first course but if you mean something to pass around with drinks, how about stuffed mushrooms and gougeres

Greenstuff February 4, 2012

I'm making another French stew at the moment, boeuf en daube, and thinking something very small to start, with some sort of green salad to follow. It's really nice to have a salad after the heavy course. I like pierino's pate idea and also lloreen's gougeres, though they're both a bit heavy and you'd want to make sure you kept the portions small. You might want to pass on the stuffed mushrooms for this meal, as your bouef bourguignon also has mushrooms. If it were my birthday, I'd start with a flute of Champagne and oysters.

Voted the Best Reply!

Robert,Suarez
Robert,Suarez February 4, 2012

Gougeres!

Chef Carlos
Chef Carlos November 12, 2016

Yep, Gougeres all the way. Nice and light, not sure about the anchovies but may add them anyway. Thanks