Suggest and appetizer?

I'm making a birthday dinner for a friend this weekend. I'm doing a chopped salad and a pasta with a short rib ragu. What appetizer would you suggest with this? I can't do anything involving shellfish. Thanks!

asked by skittle almost 7 years ago

Do you want something to serve with cocktails/wine in the living room, or a first course for the table?

How about a soup? Pureed broccoli (esp the stems!) with chicken stock is super simple and really tasty. And since it is February, and likely to be cold (at least somewhere in US!) soup is always welcome.

skittle

Well, he's a big wine fan and has insisted on bringing the wine. So no cocktails.
I would love a soup though he's not a soup fan (the horror!)

Those polenta squares sound like a good option though.