How do you make fresh pasta

asked by frank piercy over 6 years ago

nutcakes

There are quite a number of sites on the web with instructions. You need to decide if you are using a machine (and what kind) or not. If you run into a particular issue, You might want to discuss it here. But really this is more for kitchen emergencies and tips. I'd stick with reliable sources, Batali, Lebovitz, Oliver, Try this:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how...

Don't do an Emeril and let your "well" break. Basic formula is two cups flour and two eggs. Make your well of flour. In the center of the well add your eggs. Using a fork gradually work the eggs into the flour from the inside toward the outside. If your well breaks like Emeril's you'll have a mess on your hands and no TV crew to clean up for you. But this is easy because the dough will absorb as much flour as it wants and you'll be left with some. After that you hand knead it and then put it through your rollers. The Italians say that you begin with one "egg" of pasta---referring to the shape of the kneaded dough.

I'll go along with the basic two cups flour and two eggs--I think I could find that recipe written on the box I keep my machine in. I do strongly recommend a machine, as you'd have to have grown up with it to roll your own without one. And definitely a roller rather than an extruder. Then, the major hint is to roll, fold in thirds, roll again, a number of times before proceeding to the next level.

Getting a feel for pasta is easiest if you can make it with someone. YouTube is probably a good substitute.

Extruders have their uses, but yes for amateurs the rollers and cutters are best. As Greenstuff noted you fold and roll. Eight times on the first setting and then once on each after that stopping before you get to the very last. The last setting (thinnest) is best for lasagne but for the cut pastas and filled pastas you need a little toothiness.