What are good substitutions for olives?

I'm making a pasta dish that calls for olives but I don't really have a taste for them. I usually sub capers for olives but this recipe already includes capers.

asked by Alex H-R over 6 years ago

Mr_Vittles

I'd leave them out all together. If you do not like the flavor of them, I don't see why would you want anything that tasted like them in the dish.

babytiger

I don't like olives either so I just leave them out. Maybe just add a little more caper or an extra pinch of salt.

robinorig

I think it depends what kind of recipe you are making, what the flavor profile is & whether you need something like them to add texture.

linzarella

If you don't like olives, I have a feeling you don't like anchovies either, but they might be a good substitute. I suppose they're quite different than olives in taste and texture, but they both add a certain savory, punchy element to dishes, so if it feels a little flat, anchovies could fix it.

Naina Lal

How about capers? Once rinsed, they would make a good substitute.

Naina Lal

Okay....didn't read the whole question....so ignore my capers comment! :)) But then again...how about pickled vegetables like carrots and cauliflower??

I dont care for olives whole or in piece but tolerate them as a paste. Linzarella made a good suggestion with the anchovies. I love them melted down or in a paste, not whole. Capers are a favorite of mine and agree with the others for upping them or even caperberries.

foidivin

Maybe some artichoke hearts simply for texture? They also go really well with capers depending on the recipe.

Bevi

Sun dried tomatoes that are packed in oil and chopped? Oven roasted plum or cherry tomatoes?

bigpan

I appreciate you not liking olives, maybe go to a good Italian deli one day where they have bins of different olives and taste a few. Some are very briny which you might not like, some are not as salty and offer a nice mild taste you might like. Also try a mild olive in a cooked dish ( a tagine perhaps) and you will discover what a great taste addition olives can add. Also, of course, very nice in a martini ... and you don't have to eat them - just enjoy the flavor they add.