🔕 🔔

What can I substitute for olives & capers?Severe allergy

I am planning a tasting menu for potential clients and they have asked me to prepare several things that traditionally require olives and/or capers (pate, tapenade, bagels w/lox, etc) That being said, one has a severe allergy to olives (black & green) but isn't allergic to olive oil, the other has a severe allergy to capers and both types of olives, and isn't allergic to olive oil. WHAT CAN I SUBSTITUTE THEM FOR???? I'm close to breaking down

asked by Bailey Jefferies about 2 years ago

Your Guardian Chef

Tapenade is by definition made with olives and capers, so you just don't make it or they don't eat it. Otherwise with salmon you can replace them with dill, and for crostini/bruschetta you can replace with anchovies and oregano, for pate just use black pepper. Allergic to olives and not to olives oil ? It sounds like word exploitation.

dinner at ten
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

Pressing olive oil extracts almost no proteins from the olive, while olives (being whole) of course have all of them. In addition to this, olive oil is pressed from fresh olives, while olives for eating are always cured.
In general, I think it's best to take food restrictions at face value, particularly those of people to whom you're not close (or in this case of clients!). Some people do avoid foods based on misconceptions, but you also might not understand the reasons behind their choices.

Your Guardian Chef

Proper olives are cured only with salt and water

cranberry

Instead of tapenade how about a garlicky purée with artichoke hearts or grilled red pepper or even eggplant - Something of similar texture that serves the same purpose as the tapenade would on your menu.

B A C O N

While not the same, if you are looking to replace the saltiness of olives and capers, you can try something like a procuitto or some smoked white fish spread.

dinner at ten
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

In pate and on top of bagels with lox, I think something else pickled and green would work well; maybe mild pickled green peppers, or picked asparagus? I like cranberry's idea of an artichoke spread in place of tapenade; it's even artichoke season (although I'd probably start with frozen artichoke hearts for this).

dinner at ten
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

argh, I mean "pickled asparagus" of course

What about something with preserved lemons, minced fine (not-quite-pureed) in the food processor, with something colorful. I recently went to puree some preserved lemons; they have a little more texture than a smooth puree. I stirred some into mayonnaise, but you could instead add some olive oil and other ingredients that are friendly with cured lemons (roasted peppers? parsley?) to make an interesting spread. Go play.

Bailey Jefferies

Thank you everyone!