🔕 🔔

Found about 2 lbs of beautiful organic red potatoes in the drawer but they are all sprouted! What can I do with them? Are they ok to eat? An

9dcde04d 3753 42b9 a469 4a1af06fb5f2  8210 found about 2 lbs of beautiful organic red potatoes in the drawer but they are all sprouted what can i do with them are they ok to eat any recipe

asked by agamom over 5 years ago

3162c11b e070 4795 95d1 fd9492a6b582  lulusleep

I was just looking that p the other day as I was in similar situation. From what I read, it seems that sprout is ok, as long as they are removed. However, discard the potatoes if they have soften or grown green.

78596b59 0833 48ef 9149 d1dc00c9b59b  girl dog

Thank you baby tiger! Mine are a bit soft....too bad!

789a71d0 3420 4305 9bb1 543c8e427b7d  sunday morning 025

My husband is a potato farmer. It is perfectly ok to eat sprouted potatoes, just knock the sprouts off. They are still perfectly good to use if they are a bit soft. Using softer potatoes actually makes the best french fries because of the sugar to starch conversion that happens during storage. Potatoes can be green from being exposed to the sun, it has nothing to to with how old they are.

Thanks for your answer Linenlady. I almost never buy bag potatoes but when I do I always have a couple that end up going a little mushy. Did not realize that they would make better French fries. I will have to try it next time.

B8f19483 b6dd 4ee8 b288 d1e5d79af410  face

Be sure to remove any green areas. This is actually a toxin similar to that found in rhubarb leaves

I clicked on Food52 regarding the same issue but the reds I had were not organic. I just washed them very well, removed the eyes, and quartered them. If they were too soft when quartering, I tossed them. Then the ones left, I put in a mix of seasoned salt, black pepper, parsley flakes, Italian seasonings and olive oil. Wrapped in foil and we'll grill for dinner tonight!

23d08e08 3b57 4e81 adcd 91701fc50809  fb avatar

Beauty is, as they say, in the eye of the beholder.