A question about a recipe: Mocha Chip Ice Cream

2d6bdab3 4206 4c3d ac52 e428177251bc  default recipe

I have a question about the recipe "Mocha Chip Ice Cream" from The Constant Gardener. What is the purpose of the baking powder in this recipe? I've been making ice cream for many years and never seen it used before. Looks like a mistake to me....

asked by Casey2 almost 7 years ago

Mr_Vittles

I could be wrong here, but the simple answer, I believe, is that it works are a stabilizer for the custard. And because it is a alkaline ingredient, and the recipe uses somewhat acidic coffee, it may react and cause the finished product to be lighter, due to the carbon dioxide formation.

I wish you'd posted the recipe so we could consider how it MIGHT work in with other ingredients. Sounds mighty strange to me, too, though. I've been making ice cream (including coffee ice cream) for more than 20 years now, and have never seen baking powder or baking soda in any recipe.

Casey2

ChefJune - I entered the question directly off a recipe on food52.com and I thought there would have bene a link. Here it is, however - http://tiny.cc/nx9zm. Thanks!

nutcakes

There was a link in the title, Food52 just doesn't highlight it, so people don't realize it sometimes.

The Constant Gardener

Mr, Vittles is correct in his answer. I have found adding the baking powder to the coffee ice cream helps create a lighter ice cream.

Casey2

Thanks!