What did you cook for your first meal for your lover?

Inspired by Jenny's post, I wonder if anyone has brilliant ideas for a good first meal to woo someone? Bold, traditional? elaborate or simple?

• Posted by: lloreen
  • February 6, 2012

Bevi
Bevi February 6, 2012

I made eggplant parmesan, and it was a hit. I posted a roast chicken recipe that its creator, Peg Knickerbocker, swears by for a romantic dinner: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

Good old filet mignon with a nice sauce always works. Served with potatoes and a nice veggie, who would turn that away?

lloreen
lloreen February 6, 2012

looks great - I will save it in my file

ChefJune February 6, 2012

Chicken with Red Wine Vinegar Sauce! http://www.food52.com/recipes...

and he requests it over and over and over again. A real winner, and so easy.

lloreen
lloreen February 6, 2012

wow, looks easy. will try this weekend ;)

KimW
KimW February 6, 2012

He took me out for dinner and he ordered veal Marsala and told be it was his favorite. It was terrible.
The next night I made him veal Marsala at my place. I have been cooking for him every night for 6 years now.

lloreen
lloreen February 6, 2012

nice...I hope he still takes you out on occasion though ;)

Panfusine
Panfusine February 6, 2012

Gosh...I remember that as clear as day, Baby potatoes stuffed with mint chutney in a cream sauce, Cranberry Rasam, Afghan Pilaf with nuts & dry fruit, Onion Sambhar, yogurt rice, & store bought Naan.

lloreen
lloreen February 6, 2012

I'd marry you, Panfusine!

Panfusine
Panfusine February 7, 2012

In retrospect, I realize how mismatched it was...but hey it worked! and we have 2 lovely kids to show for it!

Voted the Best Reply!

miss jane
miss jane February 6, 2012

Veal scaloppine, rice pilaf, haricot vert with a great bottle of wine slowly. Followed by Mousse au Chocolat with cognac by the fire. That was 30 years ago & the love is still strong but dessert not often enough.

MTMitchell
MTMitchell February 6, 2012

A Sunday supper of spaghetti and meatballs, with the sauce the way my grandmother and mother make it where it simmers almost all day. Not only does my husband still request it (all the time) he now makes the pasta by hand, which is a step farther than I took it that first time I made it for him. The pasta maker was my first Christmas present from him, too, so it's a nice little reminder, too.

amysarah February 6, 2012

On my first date with my husband - camouflaged as a casual dinner party with mutual friends - I made a pasta with seafood, including lots of calamari. Only later did he fess up that calamari squicked him out - at least back in those days, as a child of small town Kentucky, whose family's idea of fish extended to Mrs. Paul. If there. And yet, he ate every bite. (Speaking of squicky, only me who cringes a little at the term 'lover'? I understand it handily covers a multitude of relationships, but whenever I hear it, I always think: too specific!) (Sorry, don't mean to nit pick...just one of those 'things.')

lloreen
lloreen February 6, 2012

yeah, I don't use the term "lover" in real life either because it makes me think of of a velour-clothed, motown-playing, mustache-sporting guy.. But I hate "partner" which makes me think of John Wayne - and husband is too gender and sexuality specific. Hence...I was trying to ask about a meal to woo so "lover" seemed to fit....ironically

amysarah February 6, 2012

Yes, totally got that inclusion (gender/sexuality, married/single, defying definition whatsoever) was your - admirable - intent. Didn't mean to sound critical - that word just always strikes me. (Not that I can suggest a better one!) But I like your description of the iconic porn 'stache...very '70's Lifetime movie, starring Lindsay Wagner indulging in illicit fondue. (What, did my age just show?)

Mei Chin
Mei Chin February 6, 2012

I met my husband in college and left him a loaf Challah on his desk.

allans
allans February 6, 2012

Stuffed Cornish Hens with wild rice and new potatoes

ChefJune February 7, 2012

Love it! I've made those too. But they weren't the first dinner. ;)

SKK February 6, 2012

In 1985 Grilled Game Hens with Raspberry Marinade from The Silver Palate Good Times cookbook. The game
hens caught on fire so we went out to a restaurant.

MTMitchell
MTMitchell February 6, 2012

When we had been dating not-too-long I made game hens. As I was making them I couldn't understand why I didn't make them more often. Then my now-husband made some crack about then looking like toddler chickens and it was all I could do not to give mine to his-now-our dog and get pizza! I got over it though and we had lovely hens at thanksgiving courtesy of my sister-in-law!

drbabs February 6, 2012

I dont remember...probably filet mignon... But I always make chocolate pots de creme for dessert.

gege 1
gege 1 February 6, 2012

Coq au vin

Julia child
Julia child February 6, 2012

Veal Marsala with homemade pasta

bigpan
bigpan February 6, 2012

About fifty years ago I made bacon and eggs - you figure it out ! (still make bacon and eggs once a month for her)

dymnyno
dymnyno February 7, 2012

At the time that I met my husband, we both lived in Portland, Oregon. Henry Thiele's was a favorite breakfast spot which was famous for their puffy pancake. I made him that receipe for one of our first breakfasts. The night that I met him, my roommate and friends were helping pit cherries for my Cherry Chutney. (he was there for the wine, but that changed.)

PistachioDoughnut
PistachioDoughnut February 7, 2012

My husband then my boyfriend loves palak paneer , so i had made him palak paneer and homemade naan!

Niknud
Niknud February 7, 2012

Ha! Tostino's frozen pizza with extra shredded cheese on top crammed in an Army barracks room (using his not really allowed toaster oven) and outstanding scotch. But several years, two kids and homemade lamb stew later we still laugh about it being really delicious!

boulangere February 7, 2012

King crab, garlic butter, hand-made baguette, salad nicoise, cheesecake. And croissants for breakfast ;0)

CarlaCooks
CarlaCooks February 8, 2012

I burned the hell out of some spice-rubbed fish. My poor boyfriend, now husband, said, 'Maybe it's supposed to be black like this... it's probably just the pepper.' What a sweetie!
My Dad's girlfriend calls my Dad 'lover'. Coming from a 70 year old woman, it's pretty darn funny!

meganvt01
meganvt01 February 8, 2012

This is too cute! I made lamb chops with GARLIC and rosemary, twice baked potatoes with GARLIC and smoked gouda, and a very GARLICKY ceasar salad. needless to say, we still laugh about how not romantic an overload of garlic is on a date :)

hardlikearmour February 8, 2012

Wow.... I first met my husband when I was 19. I can't say what the first meal I made him was, but I am almost certain the first thing I ever made him was Famous Amos Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Cookies.