A question about a recipe: Bread - A Country Loaf

55191ba2 136a 458b b9e3 81eb7484e882  countryloaf

I have a question about step 5 on the recipe "Bread - A Country Loaf" from lapadia. It says:

"Uncover the loaf and turn the oven on to 375 degrees. Bake for 20 minutes. " does that mean you start the bread off in a cold oven?

asked by koechin almost 7 years ago

Mr_Vittles

A "cold" oven means to turn the heat off, or in this case no heat at all. And let it ride. Make sure to NOT open the oven door during this step.

lapadia

Hi koechin!

YES! With this loaf I DO start baking in a cold oven. While the oven is preheating the loaf gets a little extra rise, it works beautifully. I don't do this with all my breads, hope you give it a try. Let me attach that same bread I made a couple weeks ago, using a large loaf pan. Read the head note for extra details:
http://lapadia.wordpress.com/2012/01/18/snowy-day-bread/