I just returned from Dubai with spices and stuff, need help.

I bought Zaatar and dried pomegranates. The pomegranates are not like raisins they are like pebbles and very bitter. I also brought dates.

• Posted by: Dona
  • February 8, 2012

Shalini
Shalini February 8, 2012

This chicken dish is really good: http://saffronandlemons.blogspot.com/2010/01/ottolenghis-roast-chicken-with-sumac.html

I would get the Ottolenghi and Moro Cookbooks to help you out. They are gorgeous and you would be able to use lots of your ingredients from Dubai. I'm not sure about the dried pomegranate seeds. For zaatar though you could sprinkle it on pitta bread brushed with olive oil and crisp them up a bit in the oven. See the roast chicken recipe above. And dates... well you should have no trouble finding recipes for those anywhere you look.

ChefJune February 8, 2012

Za'atar is great rubbed on lamb chops or a rack. Also a lovely addition to a rice pilau.

PistachioDoughnut
PistachioDoughnut February 8, 2012

I use dry pomegranate seeds in Palak paneer, it gives an extra texture to the dish with it's crunchiness. It can also be used in Chole or chickpeas recipe.

Bevi
Bevi February 8, 2012

Here are two breathtaking desserts and not knowing how to convert rose petals to rose water, I offer them up:

creamtea February 8, 2012

Cooking teacher and cookbook author Levana Kirschenbaum makes a refreshing wonderful Morrocan dessert with oranges, dates, orange flower water and toasted almonds. Peel and slice 4 oranges, arrange on a platter. Toast walnut slivers. Slice 12 dates (fresh are best; dried are fine too). Mix 2 T. each of fresh orange and lemon juice and 2 T. orange flower water. Drizzle over orange slices. sprinkle with the dates and toasted almonds. Sprinkle with 2T. confectioners sugar mixed w/1 t. cinnamon & serve at once. This is fabulous.

Dona
Dona February 8, 2012

Thanks everyone. I can't wait to get started!

Gabriella Paiella
Gabriella Paiella February 8, 2012

Hey Dona. My mom's Egyptian so I've been eating za'atar for as long as I can remember. One of my favorite snacks is to mix it with olive oil until I achieve the consistency I'm looking for (I typically like it a little bit on the thicker side) and then spread it on warm pita bread. It's one of the easiest and most delicious ways to enjoy the flavor.

Gabriella Paiella
Gabriella Paiella February 8, 2012

Dona
Dona February 8, 2012

That's the way I ate it in Dubai, it was wonderful! It's hard to find good pita bread in Texas, I need to research a recipe.