Thoughts welcome on some great new spices I scored!

I visited a great spice shop this weekend and had fun tasting/not holding back purchasing. I know I like the flavor of the following, but if you friends out there have ideas on recipes or techniques that capitalize on these great ingredients, I'd love to hear them (vegetarian options please): powdered mild New Mexico green chiles; dried rose petals; pomegranate molasses; berbere blend; a greek blend that includes mint. thanks!

Voted the Best Reply!

garlic&lemon
garlic&lemon February 7, 2012

It sounds like you had a lot of fun! Regarding the powdered mild NM green chiles, here in New Mexico that item is not sold. We sell fresh, frozen and roasted, or canned and roasted green chiles. The only powdered chile we have is red - mild or hot. For that reason, there are no traditional NM green chile recipes that I can send you. HOWEVER, I would suggest you use the powder as an ingredient when you roast and season nuts (either spicy or candied or both), on popcorn, or a couple of tablespoons in a cheese spread or veggie dip. Don't pick anything too hearty, like stew, because that mild flavor is likely to get lost; stew generally calls for at least 1/2 cup chopped, roasted chiles.

The pomegranate molasses is pretty exciting. Use it with roasted winter squash - roast the squash and mash with a little butter, salt, and the molasses. Taste to see if you want to add ginger.

I would use the berbere blend in an eggplant stew with onions, garlic, tomatoes and possibly chickpeas.

Think of the greek blend as a seasoning for lentils in making a lentil salad. The mint would make it refreshing!

I would probably put the rose petals in tea. Have fun!

Christine
Christine February 8, 2012

I have used pomegranate molasses to glaze lamb meatballs. I brush on a little right before they are done and run them under the broiler. I think it would also be good in a sweet/sour/spicy chicken wing sauce.

Diana B
Diana B February 8, 2012

For your pomegranate molasses: http://esurientes.blogspot.com/2006/08/vegetarian-eggplant-moussaka.html Any good Middle Eastern cookbook will have more ideas for this delicious molasses!

kaupilimakoa
kaupilimakoa February 8, 2012

I would infuse a simple syrup with the rose petals and then use as a soak or add to your favorite beverage.

Niknud
Niknud February 8, 2012

Love berbere! I would mince up some onions in the food processor and saute them for a little bit to take off the edge then add them to some cooked red lentils with the berbere and some clarified butter. Yum - and vegetarian.