Tarte Tatin with Figs

F327cb83 1928 4ca5 88d9 45caa1dc2bfb  figs

Planning to make a tarte tatin using Mission figs following the general plan of a traditional tatin with apples. Since figs are more fragile than apples, how long should they be carmelized in the pan before adding the crust and baking. (Baking time is usually 20 minutes or so to get the crust golden.)

asked by DebJ over 4 years ago

I would make your carmely mixture, lay the figs in the pan and cook for no longer than a couple of minutes. I also would think about letting the caramel go a little
longer since the figs and caramel wont be cooking as long so not as much moisture will bubble away. Just grasping at straws about that last part.

DebJ

Susan, thanks. That sounds like a good plan. Will let you know how it turns out.

Deborah

Do report back Deborah. :0)

DebJ

This was a qualified success, Susan W. The flavor was terrific, but the carmelization never fully took over. There seemed to be a lot of excess liquid (water from the butter?) floating on top of the caramel mixture and I couldn't cook it away. My first move will be to use less butter. Should have taken a picture. Will try again and update.

Liza's Kitchen NYC

Hi Deb, glad to hear it was a success (sort of). Figs have a higher water content than apples (especially because you often slice the apples and let them drain a bit prior to making the tatin). It seems pretty unlikely that the excess liquid came from the butter. Have you considered slightly dehydrating the figs prior to adding them to the caramel mixture?

Speaking to what Liza said, I was thinking the same thing. Gordon Ramsey (as annoying as he can be) peels his apples and lets them sit overnight in the fridge to dry out. I read an article about someone who made two tartes. One with freshly cut apples and one that let the apple slices dry on a rack overnight. They said the slightly dried apples made a much better tarte.

I meant peels and slices his apples. Any oxidation doesn't show because they are covered with the caramel.

DebJ

What a good idea...thanks Liza and Susan. I just made an upside down rosemary fig cake and the same thing happened in terms of liquid. So if I slice the figs and let them sit overnight, they may dry out a bit to avoid this problem?

According to Gordon Ramsey. Its worth a try. He suggests it for apples.

Liza's Kitchen NYC

Yes, or slice them and put them on a sheet pan and bake at 250 degrees for 25 mins. I'd check them often though and soak up the dropping liquid.

Liza's Kitchen NYC

Dripping. Sorry, mobile phone.