my heavy cream tastes sour- is it ok?

I just bought a carton of heavy cream today, (the expiration date is march 4)- but when I opened it, it smelled a bit strong, and tastes sour (the seal seemed fine). I was planning on using it to make a dulce de leche sauce, where I would be boiling the cream with sugar for 15 minutes. Do you think it's ok to use it? Thanks!

asked by charlotte au chocolat over 6 years ago

Panfusine

Heavy cream doesn't have an odor.. Toss it out & get another batch.

Soured cream won't necessarily hurt you, but it's not going to make a good dulce de leche. Perhaps it was not refrigerated for some period of time. I'm with Panfusine - toss it and get a new carton.

charlotte au chocolat

Thanks Panfusine! I was in the midst of making a bday cake for my hubby- cheesecake with dulce de leche sauce- and seeing as there's just a little over an hour left to his big day (NY), I was sort of hoping it would be ok to use... Oh well... Will redo the sauce part tomorrow!

mainecook61

Commercial heavy cream, the ultrapasteurized kind, is spoiled when it is sour-smelling. Toss it. But if the cream is local cream, pasteurized but not ultra-p, it is simply soured and would be perfect in baked goods that call for soured cream/milk.

nutcakes

All you guys toss, but many stores will refund. Just ask.

allans

You should return it so the store can be aware of any problems in their supply chain-particularly since it was within its "use by" date.

charlotte au chocolat

Thanks everyone! I will definitely bring it to the attention of the store.