🔕 🔔

my heavy cream tastes sour- is it ok?

I just bought a carton of heavy cream today, (the expiration date is march 4)- but when I opened it, it smelled a bit strong, and tastes sour (the seal seemed fine). I was planning on using it to make a dulce de leche sauce, where I would be boiling the cream with sugar for 15 minutes. Do you think it's ok to use it? Thanks!

asked by charlotte au chocolat almost 6 years ago

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

Heavy cream doesn't have an odor.. Toss it out & get another batch.

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

Soured cream won't necessarily hurt you, but it's not going to make a good dulce de leche. Perhaps it was not refrigerated for some period of time. I'm with Panfusine - toss it and get a new carton.

Thanks Panfusine! I was in the midst of making a bday cake for my hubby- cheesecake with dulce de leche sauce- and seeing as there's just a little over an hour left to his big day (NY), I was sort of hoping it would be ok to use... Oh well... Will redo the sauce part tomorrow!

E0cc9d5c 6544 49fb b0e4 5c150d9ac0f7  imag0055

Commercial heavy cream, the ultrapasteurized kind, is spoiled when it is sour-smelling. Toss it. But if the cream is local cream, pasteurized but not ultra-p, it is simply soured and would be perfect in baked goods that call for soured cream/milk.

All you guys toss, but many stores will refund. Just ask.

B8f19483 b6dd 4ee8 b288 d1e5d79af410  face

You should return it so the store can be aware of any problems in their supply chain-particularly since it was within its "use by" date.

Thanks everyone! I will definitely bring it to the attention of the store.