🔕 🔔

How long can I hold an Italian meringue at room temp?

Doing a riff on a baked Alaska for dinner party, want to meringue the cake at the last minute. Making Italian meringue with a cooked syrup, how long can I safely hold it at room temp without it deflating?

asked by stacey_ballis over 5 years ago

They start losing volume pretty immediately. I would use them right away.

Italian meringue is the most stable of all the meringues. What I've done for Baked Alaska is to go ahead and cover the ice cream with meringue as early as I need to, then return it to the freezer. Pull it out about a half hour before serving, and torch it off at the last minute. Your meringue will hold up fine in the freezer, and will soften up before serving.

Ea4d484f d952 4186 92ce 48c17ef9e2e2  dsc 0433edcropweb

Italian Meringue holds well for a couple of days at room temperature but it can also be frozen, the high sugar content prevents it from hardening.