Amping up chocolate flavor in cake

My chocolate cake recipe calls for 3/4 cup cocoa. I didn't think the batter tasted chocolatey enough, so melted 4oz dark chocolate and added. Baked. Good crumb, so otherwise a successful recipe, but still not chocolatey enough in my opinion. It also has 1 teaspoon vanilla. Is the secret to increase the vanilla? Other ideas?

Ann Lissner
Ann Lissner February 25, 2012

Try adding a bit of brewed coffee

Voted the Best Reply!

sdebrango February 25, 2012

Add 2 tsp of instant espresso like medagila d'oro. Coffee enhances the chocolate flavor. Also depends on the cocoa powder you are using I see a marked difference between Hershey's and one like valrhona. If you use a dutched cocoa you may have to adjust the baking soda a bit.

ATG117
ATG117 February 25, 2012

If the recipe doesn't call for dutched cocoa, I'd use Ghiradelli. I think it has a better chocolate flavor than a brand like Hersheys. I echo the instant espresso powder or brewed coffee suggestions. BUt if using brewed coffee, you'll have to adjust the liquid proportions in the recipe.