Red potato ideas!

Received a sack full of red potatoes in my co-op basket. Just want some yummy, healthy ideas.

asked by foidivin almost 7 years ago

Mr_Vittles

Scrub'em, Roast'em, Eat'em. Red potatoes are waxy so they are not the best for mashing. Try the old school method and make salt potatoes. Fill a big pot with cold water, add a bunch of salt, like 1/3 cup Kosher salt, add potatoes and boil for awhile, like 25-30 minutes. Evacuate potatoes, allow to dry on a cooling rack, and eat hot.

Mr_Vittles

Also, they are great smashed. Cook in boiling water. Chill. Smash with a small frying pan. Season heavily with salt and pepper. Cast iron skillet, heat on medium high, add fat (ideally duck, but vegetable oil works too), add potatoes, fry for a couple minutes on each side. Devour.

allans

I love them simple. Quarter or half (depending on size) boil and toss with butter and parsley. Or cook about 2/3rds done, toss with EVOO and a crushed garlic glove and some fresh rosemary then finish on the grill

cut them in halves or quarters, steam or boil, then dress with lemon juice or white wine vinegar, olive oil, minced chives, fresh dill, salt and pepper. Or, leave off the dill and use a little grainy mustard.

rkleine07

Patatas Bravas - one of my favorite Spanish tapas. here's my favorite recipe

http://www.yumsugar.com/Patatas-Bravas-Recipe-18343903

It calls for Yukon's, but I like the waxy-ness of red potatoes better for this application.

bugbitten

Roast! I'm always looking for side dishes for lunch. Roast with oil, salt and pepper, toss in minced garlic for the last ten minutes, then mix into a mustard vinaigrette with rosemary and chives. Roast, I say!

mainecook61

If you cook a few simply, you'll be able to see what sort of potatoes they are. Not all red potatoes are waxy by any means; some are more moist and firm, like Red Norlands, Adirondack Reds, Sangre, or Pontiacs. The world of potato-land is complex! My 2012 Fedco catalog lists 36 varieties, 11 of which are red ones.