How can I make a healthy Dahl curry with red lentils?

asked by @holliedobson about 8 years ago

Spiced Red Lentils
(Masoor Dal)

SPICES
½ tsp. ground coriander
½ tsp. ground cumin
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. ground turmeric
pinch ground cardamom
pinch red pepper flakes

LENTILS
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 medium onion, minced (about 1 cup)
4 medium garlic gloves, minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 4 tsp.)
1 ½ tsp. minced or grated fresh ginger
2 ½ cups water
1 cup coconut milk (not lite)
1 ¼ cups red lentils, rinsed and picked over
1 lb plum (roma) tomatoes, cored, seeded, and chopped medium
½ cup minced fresh cilantro leaves
salt and ground black pepper

1. Combine the spices in a small bowl and set aside. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over med-high heat until shimmering. Add the spices and saute until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Stir in the onion and cook until softened, 5-7 minutes. Stir in the garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

2. Stir in the water, coconut milk, and lentils, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer (med-low heat) and cook, uncovered, until the lentils are tender and resemble a coarse puree, 20-25 minutes. (At this point, the lentils can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 days; reheat over med-low heat before continuing.)

3. Stir in the tomatoes, cilantro, and season with salt and pepper to taste before serving.

hdobson4

sweet thank you very much, will make it tonight!

pauljoseph

You can try same recipe with red lentils(masoor dal) http://www.flickr.com/photos...