Substitute for half and half

asked by MaryP over 6 years ago

allans

Depends on what you are using it for and why you want to sub it. Availability, fat?
In soups I use cream, whole milk and 1/2 & 1/2 interchangeably depending on multiple variables. In sauces, I stick with higher fat content. You should be able to easily sub in baking, but then again, it all depends on what you are trying to achieve.

Are you looking for a dairy free alternative? or just something else? Nothing else will give you exactly the same texture as half and half. That said, I generally use heavy cream.

It also depends upon what application you are using. For instance, my mom always used skim milk when she made quiche.

nutcakes

If you are not in the U.S. you might not have such a product. Use light cream or single cream.