🔕 🔔

half and half substitute

A recipe for an onion/sweet potato tart calls for 1 and 1/2 cups of half and half. Can I substitute milk instead to make it more healthy?

asked by Karenmwaters almost 5 years ago

39bc764f 7859 45d4 9e95 fc5774280613  headshot 2.0 crop

It might help to see the recipe you're using -- milk may work fine (especially if it's whole milk). The only risk is that lower fat dairy is more likely to break and look curdled when it boils, but other ingredients can sometimes protect against that.

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

Without seeing the recipe it's difficult to be certain but, in general, you could make the substitution but you'd be sacrificing flavor and mouthfeel. You could also substitute nonfat milk or plain water...

Bac35f8c 0352 46fe 95e3 57de4b652617  p1291120

As one of my close friends says: "Fat equals flavor". So, maybe think of half and half as the healthy alternative to full cream ... ;)

Thank you all, I think I will keep the half and half!!!!