half and half substitute

A recipe for an onion/sweet potato tart calls for 1 and 1/2 cups of half and half. Can I substitute milk instead to make it more healthy?

asked by Karenmwaters almost 6 years ago

It might help to see the recipe you're using -- milk may work fine (especially if it's whole milk). The only risk is that lower fat dairy is more likely to break and look curdled when it boils, but other ingredients can sometimes protect against that.

ChefOno

Without seeing the recipe it's difficult to be certain but, in general, you could make the substitution but you'd be sacrificing flavor and mouthfeel. You could also substitute nonfat milk or plain water...

SeaJambon

As one of my close friends says: "Fat equals flavor". So, maybe think of half and half as the healthy alternative to full cream ... ;)

Karenmwaters

Thank you all, I think I will keep the half and half!!!!