Learned hazy details of an egg technique, but no luck finding a recipe: soft-boiling, then scrambling -- any ideas?

asked by @miglorious over 6 years ago

I'm not sure what you're getting after here, but maybe this will help you find what you're looking for. Many years ago, I lived in Belgium, and our classic "sauce" for asparagus was pretty much what you describe. Partially boiled eggs, scrambled, with the addition of butter and a little lemon juice. It was remarkably delicious and made the asparagus a main dish throughout its season.

That sounds amazing -- what was the consistency and color of the sauce -- thin, smooth, and yellow, or more mottled and clumpy? And do you recall how long you cooked the egg? Thanks so much.

More mottled and clumpy than smooth but with just a bit of egg yolk still available to make the sauce. I don't really recall the cooking time, but I'd describe it as just past the soft-boiled and slightly into the hard-boiled stage.

btw, I seem to be getting just a fraction of my notifications the past couple days. I did get pestopasta's and think he/she has it, though no way would we have used French for that dish! If it's Flemish, it's "op Vlaamse wijze" or more likely "op zijn Vlaams."

bigpan

I have enjoyed a poached egg over asparagus at fine Italian restaurants but when at home have done it with poached quail egg. The size is better for an appetizer rather than chicken egg.

pestopasta

Sounds like Asparagus à la Flamande (Flemish-style): asparagus spears topped with mashed hard boiled eggs, lemon, melted butter, salt and pepper and a parsley sprinkle.