A question about a recipe: Tartine Bakery's Lemon Cream

I think I'm missing something so apologies in advance. That said, would you mind clarifying what makes this quicker and less tart than a typical lemon curd if the ingredients are the same and the process is almost the same, except that the butter is added at the end in the food processor.

• Posted by: ATG117
  • March 2, 2012
B386b355 6ba7 4fe3 8ae9 0661074acf04  food52 02 28 2012 1502
Recipe question for: Tartine Bakery's Lemon Cream

Kristen Miglore March 2, 2012

The difference in tartness is mostly to do with proportions. Namely, there's a lot of butter in here (though it isn't heavy, like a buttercream frosting).

It's a time-saving technique because you spend less time standing by the stove waiting for the mixture to thicken than if you added the butter up front, and you also cool it rapidly by blending in cold butter. It's not a dramatic shortcut, but the recipe does come together very quickly. I hope this helps!

Here's the full blog post, in case you missed it: http://www.food52.com/blog...

ATG117
ATG117 March 2, 2012

I had read the blog post. It was great, just didn't catch the nuance. Thanks for the clarification. Love these posts.