frosting cake

I usually try to frost as close to serving time as possible, but I'd love to have one less thing to worry about. What do you think of frosting the night before and refrigerating (or not refrigerating). I'm making a white cake with a white chocolate ermine frosting. Thanks!

• Posted by: ATG117
  • March 3, 2012

Miranda Rake
Miranda Rake March 3, 2012

I've done that many times, and it's never been a problem - save yourself some day-of stress and do it the night before!

foidivin
foidivin March 3, 2012

I always frost the day before. Just make sure it's covered real well and you won't need to refrigerate.

boulangere March 3, 2012

Oh, definitely ice it the night before, but do refrigerate overnight. There's no need to cover with plastic, as it will only mar the surface of the icing. Even though you've "cooked" the dairy in the icing, it still needs refrigeration. Too, the fluff quality of the icing will degrade much faster at room temp. Sounds lovely!

ATG117
ATG117 March 3, 2012

Thanks all! Need to be more confident in the advanced prep department. I always worry about the cake getting soggy, even though I realize bakeries and caterers must frost in advance.

ATG117
ATG117 March 3, 2012

mai
mai March 3, 2012

Definitely frost the might before just bring to
room temp an hour or so before serving..cake tastes better at room temp

Anitalectric
Anitalectric March 4, 2012

Cake is like cheese. Always tastes better with age: specifically, two or even 3-4 days after being made. Prep in advance whenever possible for optimal flavor.