Can you freeze heads of lettuce?

asked by ceejery almost 7 years ago

Slow Cooked Pittsburgh

Well, you can, but you're not likely to be happy with the soggy slimy mess. Lettuce leaves are delicate and have a very high water content. Freezing the leaves destroys the molecular structure from the inside out. If you've got a bunch of lettuce that you don't know what to do with you can try braising it or making a soup. If you want to do a freezing experiment with lettuce you will have much more success if the lettuce is cooked in some sort of way first.

Mr_Vittles

Yeah. Avoid freezing any and all greens. They are extremely delicate and the process of freezing will destroy what crispy crunch and leave you with a soggy slurp. So NO do not freeze heads of lettuce, unless you like soggy slurps of lettuce.

Seriously?