Meat grinder

I want to buy a decent meat grinder but don't want to spend a small fortune. Recommendations? Has anyone used the KitchenAid attachment?

Frontalgirl
Frontalgirl March 8, 2012

I just got my kitchenaid grinder two weeks ago and love it! I made my own meatloaf mix and it turned out great. Do follow the directions though and thoroughly chill or slightly freeze the meat before grinding.I am so happy I got this.

Greenstuff March 8, 2012

I also have the KitchenAid attachment. I don't use it often, but I have no complaints.

SKK March 9, 2012

Have used my KitchenAid grinder attachment for 15 years with never a problem. Love it.

pianogirl
pianogirl March 9, 2012

The great news about the Kitchenaid grinder is that you can use it for other things as well like dried bread, cheese and dried fruits but as a meat grinder, it is excellent. Just be sure you cut of the parts of the meat that will cause it to sieze up otherwise it becomes a mess to clean. The instructions are very helpful.

MTMitchell
MTMitchell March 9, 2012

We love the KitchenAid attachment. It's easy to use and pretty easy to clean. Ditto on following the directions. I can't say enough about how much better the meat we grind ourselves (even just for burgers or chili) is that buying it pre-ground (and I felt that way before I learned about the "pink slime"). I didn't realize we could use it for so many other things. Thanks for that info!

Helen's All Night Diner

I love my KitchenAid grinder as well! You may want to invest in the sausage attachment as well, it's fun...

pierino March 9, 2012

Yep, KitchenAid here too. One good thing about using this tool is that you most likely will be grinding meat from a single cow whereas the risks that go with using packaged supermarket ground meat are substantially higher as the meat parts could come from one hundred cows, spreading e-coli contamination etc.

angiegeyser
angiegeyser March 9, 2012

You sold me! I just ordered it. Thanks so much everyone for the advice.

MTMitchell
MTMitchell March 9, 2012

Great! Enjoy it! Wait do we all get some kind of referral bonus or something from KitchenAid...? I've had my eye on the pasta extruder attachment...