Viet Hapa Pho recipe question: What are "beef bones" (i.e., short ribs) and oxtail?

I would like to make Furey and the Feasts' "Viet Hapa Pho". I need to shop in Manhattan and am wondering what are beef bones and oxtail?

• Posted by: ubs2007
  • March 11, 2012

Voted the Best Reply!

Ife
Ife March 11, 2012

Hey, the bones and oxtails are used to make a richer and more flavorful broth. Beef bones are pretty self explanatory and the oxtail are as well - the cows tail. There's not much meat on it and it has a lot of gelatinous tissue that breaks down into soft yumminess when you braise it for a long period of time. You can visit Fairway Market and ask specifically for the short ribs an oxtails from the butcher shop. Let them know you're making Pho and they will provide you with everything you need. Good luck!

ubs2007
ubs2007 March 12, 2012

Thank you! So to confirm: Beef bones are in fact short ribs?

Mr_Vittles
Mr_Vittles March 12, 2012

I buy "Beef Knuckles" when I need "beef bones". They are available at my local Asian grocer. Shorts may have too much fat. Knuckles are good because they are mostly bone and have tons of connective tissue (i.e. collagen -> mouthfeel).