How do I make authentic chicken biriyani?
Try This recipe little long recipe but very good
step by step method
Moppilah is a Malabari term used by local people to respectfully identify Muslims. Traditionally the Muslims served Biriyani on all important occasions. Over the years it has become of very popular with other communities in Kerala. Rice and chicken are baked in rich gravy to produce a highly aromatic and deliciously spicy preparation.
Basmati Rice - 1 kg.
Chicken pieces - 1 kg.
Ghee - 300 gms.
Onions - 500 gms.
Garlic - 100 gms.
Green Chillies - 50 gms.
Ginger - 50 gms.
Cinnamon - 3 pcs.
Cardamom - 6 nos.
Cloves - 4 nos.
Aniseed - 1 tsp.
Caraway - 1 tsp.
Chilli Powder - 1 ½ tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp.
Turmeric powder - ½ tsp.
Tomato - 100 gms.
Coriander leaves - 30 gms.
Mint leaves - 30 gms.
Cashews - 50 gms.
Kismis - 50 gms
Salt - to taste.
Grind to a paste the ginger, green chilies and garlic
• Peel and slice the onions very thin, also the tomatoes
• Powder the cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, aniseed and caraway
• Combine the chilly, coriander and turmeric powders with the salt and apply onto the cleaned chicken pieces. Keep to marinate
• In a heavy, moderately deep, vessel, heat half the ghee
• Fry and remove the cashews and kismis / raisins
• Sauté the onions in the hot ghee, when they start turning slightly brown, toss in the chopped tomato, the fresh ground paste, and half the spice powder mix
• Stir the whole mixture well and add the marinated chicken pieces.
• Cover and cook. Take care not to overcook
• Bring salted water to the boil in a large vessel
• Pour the washed rice into the boiling water and cook till three fourth done. The rice should also not be overcooked. Drain
• Into an oven proof dish, spoon in a quarter of the boiled rice
• Place one third of the chicken pieces and pour a little of the gravy
• Sprinkle a little spice powder and few shreds of coriander and mint leaves. Also a few cashews and kismis/ raisins
• Repeat for the remaining two portions
• Dibble the remaining half portion of the ghee over the last layer of rice
• Cover the dish with a tight lid or with aluminum foil and bake fifteen to
• Serve hot. Kept overnight in the refrigerator, the flavors will mellow and the taste will improve. Reheat in the oven if you do so
Please enter a valid email address.
Well played. You deserve a cookie.
Our pick-to-your-path guide to your best potato salad yet
Potato Salad Palooza
22 Cheesy Recipes for Shavuot
The Genius, Rule-Breaking Secret to Better Burgers
Your Memorial Day Menu Made Easy
A Cobbler Topped with COOKIES
prevented successful signup:
We'll never post anything without your permission.
prevented successful login:
Get the recipes and features that have us talking, plus first dibs on events and limited-batch products.
(Oh, and $10 off your order of $50 or more in the Food52 Shop, too.)