🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Cajun Meat Loaf

4a6cce6e cc0d 11e5 8e0d 3c15c2d2bb38  37 full

I have a question about the recipe "Cajun Meat Loaf" from drbabs.
Can I sub. 14 oz can tomatoes? I never seen box tomatoes nor have I've ever seen that brand around this part of the country.

asked by sedgwitch about 6 years ago

84e1393f 0d16 4291 80cf 2c42b5acf188  noz photo

You can! There's no difference between the canned stuff and what drbabs had in boxes, just a matter of preference.

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

There are minor differences between canned / boxed tomato brands. I believe Pomi doesn't have added salt so if you're substituting a brand that does, I'd taste before adding the specified amount.

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

Hi sedgwitch--yes, you know when I wrote up the recipe, I was reading a lot about BPA lining in metal cans and was using boxed products only (and still do unless I know the can is BPA-free) so that's why I recommended Pomi. But the truth is, I've been making that meatloaf for about 20 years--you can use any tomatoes you like.