🔕 🔔

Lapsangsouchong tea

I recently bought some tea bags of lapsangsouchong tea. After trying a cup of it I have decided I really don't care for the taste for a tea. I don't want to throw away 15 tea bags though! Any ideas on what I can do with them?

asked by nat666 over 5 years ago

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

Lapsang Souchong has a lovely smoky flavor that that you could infuse into savory custards

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

I've also used this particular type of tea in making Chinese Tea Eggs (hard boiled eggs steeped in a mixture of soy sauce, tea, and spices). You could probably also grind it up and use it on roast chicken to impart a smoky flavor.

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

You can also use it to oven smoke things. Cooks Illustrated did a recipe a few years back that used them to smoke ribs in the oven. They removed the tea from the bags, sprinkled it onto a rimmed baking sheet, set a rack on the sheet with the ribs on the rack and covered the whole thing tightly with foil. I've also used the leaves in a tray on the gas grill to help add some flavor to gas-grill cooked meat.

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

I also use it for marbleized tea eggs: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

I love the taste and have enjoyed many pots of it, but sometimes the effect can be far too strong. My solution has been to combine a more mainstream tea with about 20% Lapsang. You could try opening up the tea bag and us just a pinch of it with a tea you're comfortable with -- along the lines of a Russian Caravan blend. I'd consider it an acquired taste -- you might grow to love it too!