Lapsangsouchong tea

I recently bought some tea bags of lapsangsouchong tea. After trying a cup of it I have decided I really don't care for the taste for a tea. I don't want to throw away 15 tea bags though! Any ideas on what I can do with them?

• Posted by: nat666
  • March 13, 2012

Panfusine
Panfusine March 13, 2012

Lapsang Souchong has a lovely smoky flavor that that you could infuse into savory custards

petitbleu
petitbleu March 13, 2012

I've also used this particular type of tea in making Chinese Tea Eggs (hard boiled eggs steeped in a mixture of soy sauce, tea, and spices). You could probably also grind it up and use it on roast chicken to impart a smoky flavor.

hardlikearmour March 13, 2012

You can also use it to oven smoke things. Cooks Illustrated did a recipe a few years back that used them to smoke ribs in the oven. They removed the tea from the bags, sprinkled it onto a rimmed baking sheet, set a rack on the sheet with the ribs on the rack and covered the whole thing tightly with foil. I've also used the leaves in a tray on the gas grill to help add some flavor to gas-grill cooked meat.

creamtea March 13, 2012

I also use it for marbleized tea eggs: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

susan g March 13, 2012

I love the taste and have enjoyed many pots of it, but sometimes the effect can be far too strong. My solution has been to combine a more mainstream tea with about 20% Lapsang. You could try opening up the tea bag and us just a pinch of it with a tea you're comfortable with -- along the lines of a Russian Caravan blend. I'd consider it an acquired taste -- you might grow to love it too!